Group Head of Risk & Assurance
c. Â£150,000 – Â£160,000 + Car + 50% Bonus + Long Term Incentive Plan + Benefits
Our client is a highly regarded specialised civil engineering and construction group that generates over Â£2bn in annual revenues. The strength of the brand attracts projects from a global client base and the highly technical nature of the work creates a barrier to entry for competitors that has created an enormous opportunity for future growth.
Reporting to the Chair of the Audit Committee and Chief Financial Officer this position is responsible for designing, establishing and evolving the risk management and internal audit agenda. The role will help to drive a culture of risk management and strong controls throughout the business and will promote the positive business benefits of risk management and internal controls as part of normal management practices.
Key accountabilities include:
- Ensure that there is a common and effective process across the Group to capture, identify, assess, mitigate and monitor project risks with risk management being embedded into the day to day operations of the project.
- Active participation in detailed project reviews for all significant projects (by refence to both size and risk exposure) throughout the life of the project ensuring that project performance including risks and their mitigation are monitored on a regular basis and changes responded to in a timely and effective manner.
- Perform deep dive reviews on underperforming (including loss making) projects ensuring that risk management and risk mitigation learnings drive positive change and improved project risk management techniques.
- Provide training to estimators, project managers and operational management on project risk identification, quantification and risk management techniques.
Enterprise risk management
- Develop a robust process for identifying, managing, and monitoring critical risks within business units; oversee execution of that process; and ensure it is continuously improved as the business environment changes.
- Develop a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of control, compliance, risk management and governance processes developed and maintained for the Group.
- Work with the Group and Divisional Executive Committees to capture key risks and controls for business processes (bottom-up risk registers and regular refreshes including emerging risks).
- Keep abreast of best practice, developments in Risk Management, Internal Audit and Corporate Governance and ensure where relevant that learning is shared with the wider business community.
Assurance and internal control
- Develop an annual audit plan using an appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or controls and concerns identified by the Executive team, management, and external audit partners.
- Track the progress of remediation of control weaknesses identified by Internal Audit, self-testing, or controls assessment.
- Ensure guidance and assurance is provided to the Executive and Audit Committees on the effectiveness of both business and financial controls in key audit areas and the larger risk and control framework.
- Perform assurance reviews on strategic or significant transactions or transformational projects.
- Ensure processes are in place so that fraud and whistleblowing policies are embedded and are working.
Key skills & competences
This is a key leadership and highly visible role. In order to be successful, it will be necessary for candidates to demonstrate the following critical competencies:
Strategic Thinking: The group is restructuring and this team must adapt its services and structure in line with the new internal customer requirements in order to deliver. Successful candidates will have the ability to articulate this strategy and understand the longer-term implications of the changing dynamics of the sector.
Getting Things Done: Be ambitious for themselves and the organisation, action-oriented, able to make decisions and seize opportunities in a timely manner and driven to work resiliently even in challenging circumstances. Disciplined operators who will ensure the group remains a safe and great place to work by instilling a culture of operational excellence, tight business disciplines, fairness and equality and ensure the business continues to operate safely, efficiently and responsibly. The business moves incredibly fast and therefore you need to demonstrate you can be flexible working with any ambiguity that comes with this.
Leadership/Change: The ability to create a high performing, inclusive, and collaborative team that embraces and champions innovation and attracts, develops and retains a â€˜best in classâ€™ leadership team and talent pipeline.
Influencing/Communication: The ability to flex style and approach to a variety of different people and situations, establish credentials and authority with the management team, and develop a strong working relationship with key stakeholders including the chair of the Audit Committee.
Previous experience will have been gained in a construction, civil engineering or another CAPEX intensive infrastructure related industry. We are not currently considering individuals from a service industry background because of this technical requirement and the potential culture fit.
IAC Ltd (& IAC Search Ltd) acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and employment business for the supply of temporary workers. By applying for this role you are consenting to our use of your data for the purposes of providing recruitment services.
We protect your rights to access, rectify or remove your data in our Data Protection Policy 2018. If you wish to contact us in regards your data or our policy then please contact email@example.com.